By Margaret Dore, Esq., MBA
|Hawaii Senate Chamber|
Hawaii's pending act seeking to legalize physician-assisted suicide and allow euthanasia as long as actions are taken in “accordance” with the act, applies to people with years or decades to live.
The act, contained in SB 1129 SD 1, is a recipe for elder abuse, especially in the inheritance situation for persons middle class and above.
To view a supporting memo, click here and here. To go to Choice Illusion Hawaii, click here
• Passing the act will encourage people with years or decades to live, to throw away their lives.
• Administration of the lethal dose is allowed to occur in private without a doctor or witness present. If the patient objected or struggled, who would know?
• The death certificate is required to list a terminal disease as the cause of death. The death will be a terminal disease (not murder) as a matter of law. The bill creates the perfect crime.
• Elder abuse is already a not well controlled problem. Passing the proposed act will make the situation worse.
• The proposed act is sold as completely voluntary, but does not even have a provision requiring administration of the lethal dose to be voluntary.
• Physician-assisted suicide, even when voluntary, can be traumatic for patients and families.
• Passage will likely lead to suicide contagion.
• The proposed Oregon-style “oversight” is a sham and will create the opportunity for a non-governmental entity to displace the proper role of government.
Don’t Make Oregon and Washington’s Mistake.
Tell the Hawaii Legislature to Vote “No” on SB 1129 SD 1
Margaret Dore, Esq., MBA
Law Offices of Margaret K.Dore
Choice is an Illusion, a nonprofit corporation
1001 4th Avenue, Suite 4400
Seattle, WA 98154