Vote No on SB 1129 SD 2
No Assisted Suicide
• The act is sold as providing a voluntary patient choice, but doesn’t even have a requirement of voluntariness, capability or consent when the lethal dose is administered.
• People who ask about the act will lose their right to informed consent: They will lose the right to be told about alternatives for cure.
• The claim that self-administration is required is not true. The act says that a patient “may” self-administer the lethal dose. There is no language that administration “must” be by self-administration.
• Administration of the lethal dose is allowed to occur in private without a doctor or witness present. If the patient objected or even struggled, who would know?
• The death certificate is required to list a terminal disease as the cause of death. The significance is that prosecution will not be possible, no matter what the facts. The death will be a terminal disease (not murder) as a matter of law.
• Enactment will create the perfect crime to put older people in the crosshairs of their heirs and other predators.
• Elder abuse is already a not well controlled problem. Passing the proposed act will make the situation worse.
For a pdf version of this document, click here
Law Offices of Margaret K.Dore
Choice is an Illusion, a nonprofit corporation
1001 4th Avenue, Suite 4400
Seattle, WA 98154
206 697 1217